The H Word: Holistic Health, Humor & Happiness

Sunday, June 19, 2005

A Perfect Sweetener for Weight Loss


So what can we safely use that's natural, sweet and is not stored in our bodies as fat? Stevia has been used for over 1500 years and is widely used in countries such as Japan and in South America and China. I've learned the best tasting stevia is grown and used in Paraguay.

Stevia is a natural herb with many health benefits. It contains many vitamins, minerals and even protein. It can be up to 400 times sweeter than sugar so a little bit goes a very long way. It has zero calories and zero carbs. Stevia is great for weight loss since it helps reduce sugar cravings. It normalizes blood sugar which is ideal and safe for diabetics. Stevia is completely safe for the body.

Some brands of stevia taste better than others -- the higher the quality, the better. My favorite brand is made by Sweetleaf called, Wisdom of the Ancients (made in Paraguay) found in most health food stores and at:
http://www.wisdomherbs.com I also like the NOW brand of stevia (always get the white extract) which is widely available. The NOW brand also comes in little green packets which has the intensity of the sweetness cut down for easy usage. I took a picture of what I have right now in my kitchen, a pretty good tasting brand at Vitamin World called Herbal Authority (usually on sale) and the NOW green packets I carry around in my purse.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


If you decide to try stevia, start out with a very small amount. Dip a toothpick or edge of a spoon into it until you know exactly how much to use in your tea, coffee, lemonade or even Kool-Aid for the best taste. It's also great for baking and cooking since it doesn't break down from the heat (like artificial sweetners do). Stevia doesn't taste like sugar but it's delicious. It's extremely sweet with the hint of a licorice taste. Stevia is an acquired taste - some love it right away while others get used to it over time. I've been using it for about 10 years now and I can't imagine not having it.

Share your experiences with stevia - I would love to hear them!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home